Fertility doctors

Types of doctors that treat issues related to fertility in both men & women

Gynecologists and urologists are terms that most of us are familiar with. They are the usual types of doctors we visit to make sure our reproductive health is in good condition. Specialists in fertility are no different. They are merely gynecologists and urologists who have undergone further training to address problems relating to reproductive organs and health.

When you’re having trouble getting pregnant, you can feel a variety of distinct emotions at once: frustration at how pointless it seems like your efforts to conceive are, envy that while you’re still expecting to receive a positive pregnancy test on a home pregnancy test, your pals are already decorating their nurseries.

It’s time to look for more specialized assistance. But there is one emotion that you could require more of is hope. Getting medical treatment for reproductive problems might give you hope. Let’s have a look at the many types of doctors who provide knowledge in particular fields.

Reproductive endocrinologists

What people often think of as fertility specialists are reproductive endocrinologists. Reproductive endocrinologists (REs) are professionally educated gynecologists who concentrate on issues with fertility in both men and women. They have extensive understanding of conditions and issues such as endometriosis, uterine abnormalities, fallopian tube issues, and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). A number of fertility exams and procedures, including IVF, are managed and performed by them.


Urologists with extra expertise in male fertility are known as andrologists. Male fertility concerns may be assessed and treated by andrologists alone or in conjunction with a reproductive endocrinologist. They may look further to determine the reason for low or nonexistent sperm counts and, if feasible, cure the issue so the couple can get pregnant naturally.

A testicular biopsy for use in testicular sperm extraction (TESE) can also be carried out by an andrologist. They also treat testicular torsion, undescended testes, erectile dysfunction, and reproductive infections.

Obstetrician and Gynecologist

An Obstetrician and gynecologist, or OB/GYN, is likely the first reproductive expert you’ll see. OB/GYNs are qualified to identify and manage diseases that affect heterosexual couples’ fertility. These conditions might include everything from polycystic ovarian syndrome to unwelcoming cervical mucus. Additionally, generalists can offer Clomid and comparable ovulation-stimulating medications, which may be just what you need to become pregnant.

Reproductive Immunologists

Reproductive immunologists combine their expertise in reproductive medicine and immunology. In the case of repeated IVF failures, unexplained infertility, or recurrent miscarriages, these professionals may be consulted. If endometriosis or an autoimmune condition is discovered, one may also seek the advice of a reproductive immunologist.

Reproductive Surgeons

Reproductive surgeons are medical experts with even more experience in surgical techniques and may treat patients for concerns that go beyond attempting to have a baby, even though reproductive endocrinologists also conduct surgery. Gynecology or urology can represent the principal fields of training for reproductive surgeons.

Staff at a fertility clinic

In addition to doctors who have received specialized training, a fertility clinic’s team may also include nurses with specialized training and expertise in reproductive medicine, embryologists, sonographers, and other lab technicians.

What medical professional is recommended for fertility?

Consult an obstetrician/gynecologist with specialized knowledge and expertise in reproductive issues for thorough fertility testing. This medical professional is also known as a fertility expert or a reproductive endocrinologist (RE).

The distinction between a gynecologist and a fertility expert

While some reproductive treatment can be given by OB-GYNs, fertility specialists have a more narrow focus and may be better prepared to manage difficult cases. To ensure they get the greatest treatment for their reproductive health requirements, women must visit both types of providers.

When should a person seek the advice of a fertility expert?

A fertility expert should be consulted at the first indication of issues, or at the very least after six months of attempting to get pregnant, by women over the age of 35 or those with recognized medical conditions relating to hormonal or reproductive health. After a year of trying, if you are still having issues and are under the age of 35 and usually healthy, you should visit a doctor.

Women should be aware that some symptoms may make them more susceptible to infertility and that they might wish to consult a specialist earlier than the times specified in the aforementioned recommendations. These include the following:

  • Menstrual cycles that are irregular 
  • Pain during sexual activity
  • Previous operations
  • A history of pelvic inflammatory illness
  • A previous miscarriage

Men should be aware that their fertility may be impacted by certain lifestyle choices. Age, weight, smoking, and alcohol use are all risk factors for poor sperm health.

The best IVF specialists can be found at 9M Fertility. Our fertility doctors and specialists have vast clinical competence in dealing with a variety of infertility concerns. At 9M Fertility, we have experienced reproductive health professionals and the best fertility experts, as well as embryologists, gynecologists, andrologists, physicians with a focus on in vitro fertilization (IVF), counselors, and educated support personnel.


9M Fertility

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *